Good Food Choices
Good Food Choices
Protein: Preferably all free-range or grass-fed
- Fish: Wild Salmon (not farmed), mackerel, hake, Sushi, Kingklip, Sardines without added vegetable oil, Pilchards
- White Meats: Chicken and Turkey
- Lean Red Meats: Ostrich Fillet, LEAN Beef Fillet, LEAN Steak
- Dairy: Whole Eggs, unflavoured yoghurt, milk, kefir, cheese
- Vegan: Tofu, Lentils, Beans – various, Legumes, Split Peas
- Protein Shakes: OURS! WHEY POWER (Whey Protein)
LeanPlex (Full spectrum protein blend)
Processed Meats – such as ham, salami, sausages, polony, wors and mince, SOY and ALL Soy-based products/soy cereals etc
Good Carbohydrate Choices:
Low Glycaemic (The BEST choice – Unless you’re doing lots of high heart-rate training).
- Starch: Sweet potatoes, lentils, unflavoured oats, kidney beans, split peas
- Fruits: Apples, oranges, grapefruit
- Fibrous green leafy vegetables: Swiss Chard, baby spinach, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, marrows, artichokes, asparagus, baby marrow, leeks, mushrooms, parsley, spring onions, onions, green beans, been spouts, cucumber, celery, spring onions, tomatoes, bean sprouts, green and red peppers, lettuce, onions, lettuce, butter lettuce
Medium Glycaemic (The second best choice)
- Starch: Brown rice, barley, wheat hearts
- Yellow vegetables: Pumpkin, butternut, carrots and all types of squash Butternut, Squash, and Pumpkin.
- Home-made muesli – not the caramelised / granola type
Higher Glycaemic (Appropriate after high heart rate sessions or racing – sprints/hill repeats)
- Starch: White rice, potatoes
- Fruit: Bananas, honey, dates, potatoes, grapes, “tropical” fruits – (such as pears, peaches, mangos, melons)
- Man-made sugars, especially, hidden sugars found in fruit juices, favoured waters, fizzy drinks, sparkling teas, iced coffees
- Cereals – Rather eat plain, unflavoured oats.
- Sugar laden foods – ice cream, canned foods, tinned fruit, sweets, chocolates, sauces, instant soups, coffee creamers, hot chocolate drinks, “Health” breads, muffins, rusks, cookies and biscuits.
- Use coconut oil for cooking, baking, stir-frying – Any time when you need to heat fat.
- Use olive oil for all you unheated foods – so salad, drizzle over potatoes, rice
- Eat Unprocessed (extra virgin) coconut oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, borage oil, salmon Oil, EPA, GLA, avocado pears, any fresh raw nuts and seeds – such as linseed, flaxseed, sesame and sunflower seeds.
- Processed fats – margarines, sunflower oil, canola oil, imitation butters, processed meats, canned meats
Suggestions and Comments:
- Make your own salad dressing with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic , coconut oil and fresh herbs.
- Make your own Muesli using raw oats, nuts, seeds, and a very small amount of dried fruit.
- Make a habit of reading the list of ingredients on all processed food items. Ingredients are listed in descending order according to contents and weight.
- Try to always eat fresh – when possible.
- Rule of thumb: The first three ingredients should not contain simple sugars – glucose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose, brown sugar,
- Avoid dodgy fats e.g. vegetable oils, trans or hydrogenated oils, margarines etc
Tags: Carbohydrate Foods, Earth Foods, Eat Right, Food, Foods From The Earth, Foods To Avoid, Garden Of Eden, Get Healthy, Healthy, Healthy Fats, Healthy Lifestyle, Heart, Lose Weight, Processed Meats, Protein Foods, Sugar, Whey Protein