Lose Weight: Low Carb and Keto – Whey Power, PaceLyte and MCT Oil
Lose Weight: Low Carb and Keto
A couple of things to note before we get started:
- For convenience I have combined “low carb” and “keto” diets into the same article. Although there are similarities, these are different diets, and within each diet, there are many different versions and interpretations.
- Both Keto and “Low Carb” diets have been around for decades under other names/descriptions. I’m simply using these terms, as they are relatively current.
- I am not advocating extremely low carb and keto diets in particular. I have done them in the past. However, personally, I have found that my best athletic results whilst “staying lean”, as well as feeling great AND maintaining a relatively good immunity, have come from eating a balanced diet consisting of protein, carb and fat. That said, we are all different and you need to find what works for you AND an approach that is sustainable.
- If you are participating in training or a sport that demands a heart rate that is >65% of your HR max, then you will most likely need to engage in cyclical carb feedings: Eating high amounts of carb over the day, once every 4-5 days. If you continue indefinitely on a low carb diet or the keto diet, your glycogen stores, which is the fuel that is needed for high heart-rate training and performance, will become depleted. This affects performance and recovery. In addition, this depletion can (although not always) make you more susceptible to colds, flu and injury.
- Both keto and low carb diets are particularly good if you are very overweight and if your exercise routine is low heart-rate (for example, walking, stretch-classes only)
- A reminder (and I do say this often)… there is no way of losing fat fast. If you lose weight on the scale fast, then you have lost water. (Not fat)
Both a low carb diet and the keto diet reduce blood sugar and insulin levels. Because of this, it seems that they both MAY assist with:
1) Insulin resistance
2) Metabolic disease
3) Type 2 diabetes
2) Fat loss
3) Reducing epileptic seizures
4) “Starving” certain cancers
5) Reducing the progression of Alzheimer’s disease
6) Assisting with managing polycystic ovary syndrome
What products do we recommend to help you with these diets?
Suggested Meal Plan: Keto; Low Carb
Morning exercise session: Drink PaceLyte. Add one teaspoon PaceLyte to your waterbottle and sip intermittently throughout your session.
Keto Coffee – Black coffee with a teaspoon of Pace & Power MCT Oil*
2 eggs (whole, free-range) (boiled, poached or fried in coconut oil)
1 scoop Whey Power in 250ml water or blended with crushed ice and an espresso (or a low-carb fruit instead of a fruit with lunch)
Chicken, meat or fish
Salad greens and olive oil and a teaspoon of Pace & Power MCT Oil*
1 x low carb fruit (link)
1 scoop Whey Power blended in 250ml water, with crushed ice and strawberries (or any other low carb fruit) Link
Chicken, meat or fish
Broccoli or cabbage or cauliflower with cheese/butter/coconut oil or salad greens with olive oil*
Handful of nuts and seeds
Before Bedtime Snack (Optional) but GREAT if you’re training hard! Whey Power in 250ml water. Add a teaspoon PaceLyte if needing extra electrolytes for the next day’s training
Anytime Snack: Dark chocolate >85% cocoa or nuts/seed
*Pace & Power MCT Oil for when you need energy that lasts a few hours, but without affecting blood sugar levels or insulin.
(Hence one teaspoon MCT oil with breakfast and another one teaspoon MCT oil at lunch time).
Olive oil for cold foods; coconut oil for heat = frying, sautee, baking
Check with your doctor or dietician before starting any diet
Low carb and the keto diet isn’t recommended for:
1) Those with liver or kidney disease,
2) If you are on medication/have a medical condition
3) Those with gastrointestinal issues
4) Folk who can’t metabolize high amounts of dietary fat
5) If you’ve had your gall bladder removed
6) If you’re pregnant or breast-feeding
7) For people who have a rare genetic disorder.
Tags: Carbohydrates, Cut Fat, Diet, Earth Foods, Eat Right, Foods From The Earth, Garden Of Eden, Get Healthy, Get Lean, Healthy, Healthy Lifestyle, Keto, Lean, Lose Weight, Low Carb Diet, Meal Plan, Smoothie, Weightloss, Whey Protein