Barberton XCM MTB, Cape Epic, Giants Castle Challenge, Joberg2c, Karoo to Coast, Kilimanjaro 2 Ngorongoro, Magalies Monster, MTB Series, Race to the Sun, Sabie, Sabie Classic, Sani2c, Transbaviaans, Wines2Whales, 360ne, The Karoo Burn
Mountain Biking – What, When and How Much.
Nutrition/Carboloader: 2-3 days before:
1 scoop EnduraShake in 200mls water at 10h00, 15h00 and before bed. (Continue eating your normal meals)
Before the Start of Each Day: 2 scoops EnduraShake in 400ml water, 45 minutes before the start.
During: Take 2 scoops of EnduraShake every 3.4 hours during the event.
So for Sani2c, (on Day 2 only) at Halfway: Take 2 scoops EnduraShake in 400ml water. (Note: If you are a slow rider on Sani2c, take 1 scoop EnduraShake in 200ml water at halfway on Day 1 and Day 3 as well).
Recovery food after: 2 scoops EnduraShake in 400ml afterwards, and 2 scoops again before bed.
Hydration CHOICES….. Nice to have VARIETY! Here are your choices:
- EnduraPower (high electrolytes, blend of stable carbs) Powder in your hydration pack. (Neutral Quench tastes like water; Lemonade VERY light flavour).
- GT Gel (high electrolytes, blend of stable carbs). This goes with JUST water in your hydration pack!! A BIG winner! BLAND, easy to swallow. One little decanting bottle (110mls) will give you 3 hours of high heart-rate racing!
- PaceLyte (high electrolytes, minuscule carb) in your hydration pack – top up electrolytes.
You don’t have to keep to just one choice, you can mix things up for enjoyment and variety: You can switch between the 3 options…
For example, you might wish to do the first half of each day on EnduraPower and then switch to GT Gel with ONLY WATER in your hydration pack for the second half. This is a particularly good idea for day 2 on Sani2c as it longer. Many MTB’ers use JUST GT Gel for the entire event as everyone loves the taste of JUST water on long events.
If you feel that you need to top up your electrolytes, OR if you prefer to ride on just electrolytes, then PaceLyte is for you! High electrolytes; the tiny amount of carb (2.5g) is D-Ribose! This is the carb that fuels the mitochondria – the ATP cycle/explosive power of the muscles. PaceLyte is great if you simply wish to top up your electrolytes too. NO flavour, no colourants. Absolutely refreshing in the mouth! I LOVE this one!
Whichever option above you choose, remember to hydrate correctly, as all 3 of the above options are high in electrolytes – They are designed for racing in African heat! High in sodium (Kalahari Salt) and magnesium bis glycinate.
It has been suggested that you hydrate according to bodyweight.
Recommended: 8ml-10mls/kg bodyweight/hr – this may vary according to personal preference (and sport).
(The sodium content of all 3 formulas significantly reduces any risk of hyponatremia)
Joobies: For extra fast energy and/or electrolytes, munch on a Joobie as needed. Joobies stop cramps FAST. Great for sprints…Fantastic for hills… and… perfect for sulking!
Souties: For REAL food – a welcome SALTY snack, munch on a Soutie… ANYTIME during the event. Slow, sustaining energy with MCT’s for prolonged performance and cassava root for slow, steady carbs. Souties contain Kalahari Salt and Himalayan Salt – Rich in trace minerals.
To more detail, we have divided supplementation into 2 areas:
1. Race Performance (and Long Weekend Sessions)
2. Daily Training and Recovery
Race Performance (and Long Weekend Sessions)
B. Daily Training and Recovery
- EnduraPower or PaceLyte
- LeanPlex or Whey Power
- Collagen Peptides (Optional – only if you have dodgy joints – lower back/knees etc)
A light, but SUSTAINING liquid race meal. You won’t get hungry for about 3.5 – 4 hours.
It also eliminates the “wall’ that everyone “hits” at around 2.5 hours.
Use EnduraShake 5 ways for MTB:
- Nutrition/Carbo-loader: 1-5 days before (depending on the intensity of the event). 1 scoop in 200mls water at 10h00, 15h00 and before bed.
- Before the start: Take 2 scoops (full serving) 45-60 minutes before the start.
- During: Light, sustaining meal – Drink 2 scoops every 3.5 to 4 hours
- Recovery food: 2 scoops afterwards (one serving) to maximise fast recovery. Take another 1-2 scoops before you go to sleep,especially for multi-day/stage events. (EnduraShake won’t keep you awake, but it will help feed tired muscles while sleeping)
- De-briefing: For extreme events – such as The Cape Epic, or Joberg2c, then continue taking EnduraShake for a few days afterwards to support the immune system and help with recovery.
EnduraShake should be also be taken before and after all your current long sessions. Take 2 scoops before and 2 scoops after 3.5 to 4 hour sessions.
For short, fast sessions: 2 hours or less, take half a serving = 1 scoop before and 1 scoop afterwards for recovery.
Note: The number of scoops taken before an event/session should match the number of scoops taken after:
2 scoops BEFORE for 3.5 – 4 hours = 2 scoops AFTER for recovery.
1 scoop BEFORE for 1.5 – 2 hours = 1 scoop AFTER for recovery.
This powder goes in your hydration pack – EnduraPower is low GI for stable performance; has high electrolytes to prevent muscle cramping; lactate buffers for high heart-rate racing and glutamine for fast recovery. (Note: We have specific low/no flavours for riding distance in heat).
However, if you prefer to put water only in your hydration pack, then you can ride using just GT Gel, taking a sip from the little decanting bottle from time to time. (See GT Gel info below)
Alternatively, you can also swap between GT Gel and EnduraPower for variety. For example, you may wish to ride the first few hours on EnduraPower and then at halfway, switch to water only in your hydration pack, and sip intermittently on the little GT Gel flask over the next 3 hours.
Use EnduraPower as follows:
- Follow the instructions on the label in terms of the number of scoops per water per litre. (You should not water it down).
- EnduraPower should go in every hydration pack (the flavour is light enough for you to do so). However, if you prefer to put water only in your hydration pack, then you can use just GT Gel, taking a sip from the little decanting bottle from time to time. The little GT Gel decanting bottle will give you 2.5 – 3 hours of racing with JUST water. (See GT Gel info below) You can also simply top up your electrolytes only in your hydration pack with a teaspoon of PaceLyte.
- Alternatively, you can also swap between EnduraPower and GT Gel for variety. For example, you may wish to race the first few hours on EnduraPower and then at halfway, switch to water only in your hydration pack, and sip intermittently on the little GT Gel flask over the next few hours.
- It is a good idea to drink ~750ml of EnduraPower sometime in the morning before the race starts, as this ensures that you are fully hydrated and fueled from the start!
- Hydrate with EnduraPower according to bodyweight. (This may vary according to personal requirements, ambient temperature/humidity and the demands of the event).
It has been recommended to hydrate as follows: 8mls to 10mls x bodyweight/hr.
For example, if you weigh:
60kgs – Drink ~500mls to 600mls / hour
90kgs – Drink ~800mls to 900mls / hour.
Note: EnduraPower has significant levels of Kalahari Salt to prevent hyponatraemia. (Water intoxication/over-hydration).
Choose your flavour wisely: Read our recommendations on flavour choices.
- Extremely high-electrolyte.
- Sustaining blood sugars.
- GT Gel is designed in Africa for African heat.
- Brilliant for preventing cramps!
Use GT Gel as follows:
Pour GT Gel into the little decanting bottle and sip intermittently if you’d like to take a break from riding on EnduraPower, and would prefer to ride with just water in your hydration pack. The little gel bottle (filled to the top) will give you about 2.5 – 3 hours of riding with a moderate-to-high intensity heart-rate, so be sure to carry enough GT Gel.
Remember to drink water – fill your hydration pack and hydrate according to bodyweight. This may vary according to personal requirements, ambient temperature and humidity and the demands of the sport or event.
It has been recommended as follows: 8mls to 10mls x bodyweight/hr
For example, if you weigh:
60kgs – Drink ~500mls to 600mls / hour
90kgs – Drink ~800mls to 900mls / hour.
Hydrating correctly ensures easy and rapid absorption of the gel, so please pay careful attention to this.
Note: GT Gel has significant levels of sodium to prevent hyponatraemia. (Water intoxication/over-hydration).
A tasteless ELECTROLYTE formula, containing significant amounts of MAGNESIUM GLYCINATE, with a miniscule amount of carb.
Use PaceLyte as follows:
If you always tend to always cramp (despite using EnduraPower and/or GT Gel correctly and hydrating sufficiently), then simply add half to 1 teaspoon of PaceLyte to your hydration pack whilst riding. PaceLyte will provide you with electrolytes only – HIGH magnesium glycinate, with a very small amount of carbohydrate.
Joobies OR Jooblets: (Same thing, different sizes) One Joobie = 5-6 Jooblets
An electrolyte chewy to stop cramps fast and to give you a powerful energy boost.
Use Joobies or Jooblets as follows:
Eat one Joobie slice or 5-6 Jooblets for the same dose of electrolytes and rocket energy!
- If you’re sulking – having an off-day.
- If your blood sugar has dropped.
- Cramping – Eat a double serving and continue hydrating correctly!
- Hills –A few minutes before those hectic hills.
- Struggling to concentrate – making technical mistakes.
- 20-30 minutes before the end, for a strong finish.
Souties: For the MUNCHIES!!
A savoury/salty snack. Pure food. No preservatives. MCT’s for energy! (They taste like chips!).
Use Souties as follows:
- Anytime! When you need to perform, but also need real food.
- When you’re craving a salty, savoury snack, especially after all the sweet stuff!
- When you need a balanced mini-meal – protein, carb and fat.
- If you’re cramping. Contains both Kalahari and Himalayan Salt.
Twin packs with a variety of flavours: Mixed Herbs, Basil-Pesto, Thyme, Umama, Tomato+Black Pepper; and Original. Nothing sweet about them!
An amino acid that helps your body recover.
Use L-Glutamine as follows:
Use 1-2 teaspoons after MTB. If really tired, take another 1 teaspoon before you go to sleep that night.
B. Daily Training and RECOVERY
Daily Training: EnduraPower and/or PaceLyte
1. EnduraPower: This is great for daily training: Simply mix in your hydration pack as prescribed. EnduraPower is especially good for hill repeats or any high heart-rate training: Sip intermittently throughout your conditioning session.
2. PaceLyte: If you prefer to train on just electrolytes (PaceLyte has only a miniscule amount of carbohydrate), then use PaceLyte instead of EnduraPower. One teaspoon of PaceLyte per 750ml/1 litre.
Daily Recovery: LeanPlex, Whey Power, L-Glutamine and Collagen Peptides
1. LeanPlex is a high protein, low kilojoule formula that will help with daily recovery – Also good if you want to drop some bodyfat before an event.
Use LeanPlex as follows: Simply take 2 scoops mid-morning and 2 scoops mid-afternoon in 300ml water
2. Whey Power is JUST PROTEIN for LEAN muscle tone and RECOVERY from intense training. High in L-glutamine (6000mg per scoop) and branched-chain amino acids (7500mg per scoop), with MCT’s for energy!
Use Whey Power as follows: Add 1 scoop to your oats, or smoothie, or simply drink with JUST water! After training. Before bedtime. Or drink along with any low-protein meal.
3. Pace & Power Glutamine: An amino acid for muscle repair and recovery.
Use our glutamine as follows: Take one teaspoon of our pure L-Glutamine immediately after training – especially hills/sprints.
4. Pace & Power Collagen Peptides: If you have issues with your joints – ANY connective tissue – for example, your knees/lower back, then our Pace & Power collagen is the thing to use! Results for most athletes are significantly good!
Use our collagen as follows: 2 scoops daily. Anytime.
MTB, Mountain biking, Gravel road, Barberton XCM MTB, Cape Epic, Giants Castle Challenge, Joberg2c, Karoo to Coast, Magalies Monster, MTB Series, Race to the Sun, Sabie, Sabie Classic, Sani2c, Transbaviaans, Wines2Whales, Race to the Sun; Berg and Bush, Kilimanjaro 2 Ngorongoro, 36one, The Karoo Burn,