Half IronMan / 70.3 (Durban; Buffalo City – East London)
Half IronMan – What, When and How Much.
- Nutrition/Carboloader: 2-3 days before:
1 scoop EnduraShake in 200mls water at 10h00, 15h00 and before bed. (Continue eating your normal meals)
- Before the Start: 2 scoops EnduraShake in 400ml water, 45 minutes before.
- At transition between Cycle and Run: 1 scoop EnduraShake in 200ml water.
- Recovery food after: 2 scoops EnduraShake in 400ml afterwards, and 1-2 scoops again before bed.
BEFORE THE SWIM: EnduraPower OR GT Gel
- Mix 500-750mls EnduraPower
1 scoop EnduraPower in 500mls water for a person weighing close to ~50kgs
1.5 scoops EnduraPower in 750mls water for a person weighing close to ~75kgs
2 scoops EnduraPower for ~100kgs+ in 800-900mls water).
- OR: You can take 30-50ml GT Gel with 500-750ml water (depending on your weight – see above)
DURING THE CYCLE – Give yourself (safe) variety! Here are your options:
- EnduraPower (high electrolytes, blend of stable carbs) in your water bottles. (Neutral Quench tastes like water with a smidgen of caffeine; Lemonade VERY light flavour, zero caffeine).
- GT Gel (high electrolytes, blend of stable carbs). This enables you to ride with JUST water in your water bottles! A BIG winner! BLAND, easy to swallow. One little decanting bottle (110mls) will give you ~3 hours of high heart-rate racing!
- PaceLyte (high electrolytes, minuscule carb) in your water bottles – top up electrolytes.
You don’t have to choose one single option of the 3 above: You can switch between the 3 options: For example, you might wish to do the first half of the cycle on EnduraPower and then switch to GT Gel with ONLY WATER for second half. This is a WINNER! Just about everyone loves the taste of JUST water on long events.
If you feel that you need to back off on your carbohydrate intake for an hour or two, then switch to PaceLyte = High electrolytes.
(The tiny amount of carb (2.5g) is D-Ribose! This is the carb that fuels the mitochondria – the ATP cycle/explosive power of the muscles!).
PaceLyte is also great if you simply wish to top up your electrolytes. NO flavour, no colourants. Absolutely refreshing in the mouth!
Whichever option above you choose, remember to hydrate correctly, as all 3 of the above options are high in electrolytes – They are designed for racing in African heat! High in sodium (Kalahari Salt) and magnesium bis glycinate.
It has been suggested that you hydrate according to bodyweight.
Recommended: 8ml-10mls/kg bodyweight/hr – this may vary widely according to personal preference/ ambient temperature/ humidity
(Please note: The sodium content of all 3 formulas significantly reduces any risk of hyponatraemia)
DURING THE RUN: (After 1 scoop of EnduraShake in 200mls in the transition)
For 0kms – 21kms: Fill the little gel decanting bottle up to the 75ml mark – This is enough to run 21 kms. Sip on GT Gel intermittently over 21km. Hydrate according to bodyweight. (Recommended: 8ml-10mls/kg bodyweight/hr – this may vary according to personal preference / ambient temperature / humidity). Hydration is important as GT Gel contains significant sodium and magnesium bis glycinate.
Note: You can also substitute distance with EnduraPower instead of GT Gel. 10kms = 1 scoop for a person weighing close to ~50kgs; 1.5 scoops for a person weighing close to ~75kgs; 2 scoops for ~100kgs+).
THROUGHOUT THE EVENT:
Joobies: For extra fast energy and/or electrolytes, munch on a Joobie as needed. Joobies stop cramps FAST. Great for sprints…Fantastic for hills… and… perfect for sulking!
Souties: For REAL food – a welcome SALTY snack, munch on a Soutie… ANYTIME during the event. Slow, sustaining energy with MCT’s for prolonged performance and cassava root for slow, steady carbs. Souties contain Kalahari Salt and Himalayan Salt – Rich in trace minerals.
Recovery food after: 2 scoops EnduraShake in 400ml afterwards, and 1-2 scoops again before bed. EnduraShake has no stimulants or artificial colours. It will not keep you awake at night.
For more detail, we have divided it into 2 areas:
- Race Performance/ Long Weekend Sessions
- Daily Training and Recovery
B. Daily Training and Recovery
- EnduraPower or PaceLyte
- LeanPlex or Whey Power
- Collagen Peptides (Optional – only if you have dodgy joints/knees etc)
A light, but SUSTAINING liquid race meal – You won’t get hungry for ~3.5 hours.
It also eliminates the “wall’ that everyone “hits” at ~2.5 hours.
Use EnduraShake 4 ways for Half Ironman:
- Nutrition/Carboloader: 3 days before. 1 scoop in 200mls water at 10h00, 15h00 and before
bed. (Continue eating your normal meals)
- Breakfast Before: 2 scoops in 400ml water, 45 minutes before the start.
- Meal During: 1 scoop in 200ml water in the transition between the cycle and the run.
- Recovery food: 2 scoops in 400ml afterwards, and 1-2 scoops again before sleeping.
2 scoops = 3.5 – 4 hours of intense racing – enough to Ride 100km Road.
1 scoop = 1.5 – 2 hours – enough to run a 21km.
EnduraShake should be also be taken before and after all your current longweekend
sessions. Take 2 scoops before and 2 scoops after 3-4 hour sessions.
For shorter sessions: 2 hours or less – e.g: 21km run or a long swim, take half a serving (1 scoop)
before and 1 scoop afterwards for recovery.
Note: The number of scoops taken before an event/session should match the number of scoops
2 scoops BEFORE for 3.5 – 4 hours of training = 2 scoops AFTER for recovery
1 scoop BEFORE for 1.5-2 hours of training = 1 scoop AFTER for recovery
This is the sports drink that goes together with the
EnduraShake: The EnduraPower is low GI for stable performance; has high electrolytes to prevent muscle cramping;
lactate buffers for high heart-rate racing and glutamine for fast recovery.
It is used mostly during the cycle and sometimes before the swim, instead of the GT Gel.
Use EnduraPower as follows – During the Cycle
- It must be used as the sports drink that partners EnduraShake: EnduraPower goes in your water bottles or hydration pack.
- Follow the instructions on the label in terms of the number of scoops per water bottle. (You should not water it down).
- EnduraPower should go in every water bottle (the flavour is light enough to do so), but if you decide not to, then top up your electrolytes with a teaspoon of PaceLyte; or top up both electrolytes and carbs by sipping GT gel intermittently.
- Hydrate with EnduraPower according to bodyweight. (This may vary according to personal requirements and the demands of the sport).
It has been recommended as follows: 8mls to 10mls x bodyweight/hr
For example, if you weigh:
60kgs – Drink ~500mls to 600mls / hour
90kgs – Drink ~800mls to 900mls / hour
Note: EnduraPower has significant levels of Kalahari Salt to prevent hyponatraemia. (Water
Note also: You can also use one serving of EnduraPower before the swim. This allows you to
start the race in a fully hydrated and fuelled state!
A tasteless ELECTROLYTE formula.
Use PaceLyte as follows:
If you’d like to have a break from the EnduraPower during the cycle for a while, then simply add 1
teaspoon of PaceLyte to your water bottle instead. PaceLyte is tasteless, and will provide you with just
electrolytes, with a miniscule amount of carbohydrate.
An extremely high-electrolyte, sustaining energy gel, to use just before the swim and during the
run. It can also be used during the cycle if you prefer to race on water ALONE. GT Gel is designed in Africa for
Africa. Brilliant for preventing cramps!
Use GT Gel as follows:
- Before the swim – Drink half to one serving a few minutes before, (unless you’re using one serving of EnduraPower before the swim)
- During the cycle – If you’d like to take a break from the EnduraPower, and ride on water, then top up your energy and electrolytes by taking a swig of GT gel from time to time. The little gel bottle (filled to the top) will give you about 3 hours of moderate-to-high intensity heartrate racing
- For the 21km run – Decant GT Gel into the little decanting bottle and sip intermittently throughout. (For the 21km, you need only fill the little gel bottle to two-thirds). Drink water en route as usual. Hydrate according to bodyweight as prescribed above. Hydrating correctly ensures easy and rapid absorption of the gel, so please pay attention to this.
Joobies OR Jooblets: (Same thing, different sizes) One Joobie = 5-6 Jooblets
An electrolyte chewy to stop cramps fast and to give you a powerful energy boost.
Use Joobies or Jooblets as follows:
Eat one Joobie slice or 5-6 Jooblets for the same dose of electrolytes and rocket energy!
- If you’re sulking – having an off-day.
- If your blood sugar has dropped.
- Cramping – Eat a double serving and continue hydrating correctly!
- Hills -A few minutes before those hectic hills – Don’t get dropped.
- Struggling to concentrate.
- 30 minutes before the end for a strong fast finish.
Savoury and salty PROTEIN biscuits
Use Souties as follows:
- When you’re craving a salty, savoury snack, especially after all the sweet stuff!
- When you feel like REAL food, but food that is sustaining.
- When you need a balanced mini-meal – protein, carb and fat.
- If you’re cramping. Contains both Kalahari and Himalayan Salts
An amino acid that helps your body recover.
Use L-Glutamine as follows:
Use One teaspoon after racing/ long training session.
B. Daily Training and RECOVERY
Daily Training: EnduraPower and/or PaceLyte
- EnduraPower: Use as prescribed above.
- PaceLyte: If you’d prefer an electrolyte drink with very low carbohydrate, then use PaceLyte instead of EnduraPower. One teaspoon per 750ml waterbottle.
Daily Recovery: LeanPlex, Whey Power, L-Glutamine and
- LeanPlex is a high protein, low kilojoule formula that will help with daily recovery – Also good if you want to drop some bodyfat before the event.
Use LeanPlex as follows:Simply take 2 scoops mid-morning and 2 scoops
mid-afternoon in 300ml water
- Whey Power is JUST PROTEIN for LEAN muscle tone and RECOVERY from intense training. High in L-glutamine and branched-chain amino acids, with MCT’s for energy! Note you don’t need to take L-glutamine if you are using Whey Power: there is enough glutamine already in Whey Power (6000mg)
Use Whey Power as follows:Add 1 scoop to your oats, or smoothie, or simply
drink with JUST water! After training. Before bedtime. Or drink along with any low-protein meal.
- Pace & Power Glutamine: An amino acid for muscle repair and recovery.
Use our glutamine as follows: Take one teaspoon of our pure L-Glutamine immediately
after training – especially hills/sprints/Wattbike.
- Pace & Power Collagen Peptides: If you have issues with your joints – ANY connective tissue – for example, your knees/lower back, then our Pace & Power collagen is the thing to use! Results for most athletes are significantly good!
Use our collagen as follows:2 scoops daily. Anytime.
70.3, Half Iron Man, Triathlon, Half IM, IMTags: 70.3, Half Iron Man, Triathlon