50km: Om die Dam / Loskop / Irene 48
Nutrition/Carboloader: 3 days before:
1 scoop EnduraShake in 200mls water at 10h00, 15h00 and before bed. (Continue eating your normal meals)
Breakfast Before: 2 scoops EnduraShake in 400ml water, 45 minutes before the start.
First 10kms: Mix 500-750mls EnduraPower (1 scoop for a person weighing close to ~50kgs; 1.5 scoops for a person weighing close to ~75kgs; 2 scoops for ~100kgs+). Mix in a bottle that you’re happy to toss.
From 10kms – 40kms: Sip on GT Gel over the 30kms. Hydrate according to bodyweight. (Recommended: 8ml-10mls/kg bodyweight/hr – this may vary – Read more below). Important as GT Gel contains significant sodium and magnesium bis glycinate.
Throughout the event, for extra energy and/or electrolytes, munch on a Joobie as needed.
At ~35kms, eat a Soutie (or two).
At ~40kms, eat a Joobie
At ~45kms, eat another Joobie
Recovery food after: 2 scoops EnduraShake in 400ml afterwards, and 1-2 scoops again before bed.
More detail for you – We have divided it into 2 areas:
- Race Performance/ Long Weekend Sessions
- Daily Training and Recovery
- GT Gel
- Joobies or Jooblets
- EnduraPower (Use for the first 10kms as the little decanting bottle holds enough for 30kms. Also use EnduraPower for daily training).
- PaceLyte (Optional – if you prefer to run on just electrolytes: no/low carb; or you are a super-cramper; or you simply need to top-up with extra electrolytes en route).
Daily Training and Recovery:
- EnduraPower and/or PaceLyte
- LeanPlex or WheyPower
- Collagen Powder (Optional – only if you have dodgy joints lower back/knees etc)
A light, but SUSTAINING liquid race meal. You won’t get hungry for 42km.
NOTE: For a 50km, simply stash some Souties to tide you over for the last 10km.
EnduraShake also eliminates the “wall’ that everyone “hits” at around 25km.
Use EnduraShake 3 ways for a Standard 42km:
- Nutrition/Carboloader: 3 days before. 1 scoop in 200mls water at 10h00, 15h00 and before bed. (Continue eating your normal meals)
- Breakfast Before: 2 scoops in 400ml water, 45 minutes before the start.
- Recovery food: 2 scoops in 400ml afterwards, and 1-2 scoops again before bed.
2 scoops = 3.5 – 4 hours of running, so 32km-42km.
1 scoop = 1.5 – 2 hours of running, so 21km
EnduraShake should be also be taken before and after all your current long sessions on the weekends. Take 2 scoops before and 2 scoops after 32-42km sessions.
For shorter sessions: 2 hours or less – 21km run, take half a serving = 1 scoop before and 1 scoop afterwards for recovery.
Note: The number of scoops taken before an event/session should match the number of scoops taken after:
2 scoops BEFORE for 3.5 – 4 hours (32km-42km) = 2 scoops AFTER for recovery.
1 scoop BEFORE for 1.5 – 2 hours (21km) = 1 scoop AFTER for recovery.
An extremely high-electrolyte, sustaining energy gel, GT Gel is designed in Africa for Africa.
Brilliant for preventing cramps!
Use GT Gel as follows:
- Decant GT Gel into the little decanting bottle and sip intermittently throughout the event.
- The little gel bottle (filled to the top) has enough energy and electrolytes to last your about 2.5 – 3 hours or 25-32km of moderate-to-high intensity heart-rate racing, so be sure to have enough GT Gel:
There is an easy way to solve this:
- Many folk put one serving (1.5 scoops) of EnduraPower, or pour one serving of GT GEL (with water) into an old 750ml waterbottle that they are happy to discard, then they run the first 10km with the waterbottle containing the EnduraPower or the GT Gel. They then discard the bottle within the first 10km and switch over to the little decanting bottle after 10km. They run the rest of the 42km with only the little decanting gel bottle, picking up sachets of water as usual. If you follow this simple plan, you will have enough energy and electrolytes in the little decanting bottle to carry you all the way through to 42km. (Another bonus is that you’ll miss the busy water tables in those first 10km).
- Alternatively, you can simply run with 2 little gel bottles containing enough GT Gel for 42km. Fill each one up to th 75ml mark (About 2/3 of the little bottle)
Remember to drink water en route as usual. Hydrate according to bodyweight. This may vary according to personal requirements and the demands of the sport or event.
It has been recommended as follows: 8mls to 10mls x bodyweight/hr
For example, if you weigh:
60kgs – Drink ~500mls to 600mls / hour
90kgs – Drink ~800mls to 900mls / hour.
Hydrating correctly ensures easy and rapid absorption of the gel, so please pay careful attention to this.
Note: GT Gel has significant levels of sodium to prevent hyponatraemia. (Water intoxication/over-hydration).
A low-taste ELECTROLYTE formula – containing HIGH magnesium glycinate, with a miniscule amount of carbohydrate.
Use PaceLyte as follows:
If you always tend to always cramp (despite using GT Gel and hydrating correctly), then simply add half to 1 teaspoon of PaceLyte to your regime whilst running.
Joobies OR Jooblets: (Same thing, different sizes) One Joobie = 5-6 Jooblets
An electrolyte chewy to stop cramps fast and to give you a powerful energy boost.
Use Joobies or Jooblets as follows:
Eat one Joobie slice or 5-6 Jooblets for the same dose of electrolytes and rocket energy!
- If you’re sulking – having an off-day.
- If your blood sugar has dropped.
- Cramping – Eat a double serving and continue hydrating correctly!
- Hills –A few minutes before those hectic hills.
- Struggling to concentrate.
- 30 minutes before the end, for a strong, fast finish.
Savoury/salty snack – for the MUNCHIES!
Use Souties as follows:
- When you’re craving a salty, savoury snack, especially after all the sweet stuff!
- When you feel like REAL food, but food that is sustaining.
- When you need a balanced mini-meal – protein, carb and fat.
- If you’re cramping. Contains both Kalahari and Himalayan Salts
You can run your entire race on EnduraPower, if you don’t like gels and are happy to carry the powder; or you run with a hydration pack.
The EnduraPower is low GI for stable performance; has high electrolytes to prevent muscle cramping; lactate buffers for high heart-rate racing and glutamine for fast recovery.
Use EnduraPower as follows:
- Follow the instructions on the label in terms of the number of scoops per waterbottle. (You should not water it down).
- Hydrate with EnduraPower according to bodyweight. (This may vary according to personal requirements and the demands of the sport).
It has been recommended to hydrate as follows: 8mls to 10mls x bodyweight/hr
- In addition, it is a good idea to drink a bottle of EnduraPower sometime in the morning before the race starts, as this ensures that you are fully hydrated and fuelled from the start!
- Note: You can also swap between GT Gel and EnduraPower for variety.
Note also: EnduraPower has significant levels of Kalahari Salt to prevent hyponatraemia. (Water intoxication/over-hydration).
Choose your flavour wisely: Read our recommendations on flavour choices.
An amino acid that helps your body recover.
Use L-Glutamine as follows:
Use One teaspoon after racing/ long training session.
B. Daily Training and RECOVERY
Daily Training: EnduraPower and/or PaceLyte
- EnduraPower: This is great for daily training: Simply mix a 750ml bottle beforehand, drink as much as you can before your run, put the bottle in the fridge and finish off what is left afterwards. EnduraPower is especially good for track sessions/ hill repeats or any high heart-rate training: Sip intermittently throughout your conditioning session.
- PaceLyte: If you’d prefer an electrolyte drink with a very low carbohydrate content, then use PaceLyte instead of EnduraPower. One teaspoon per 750ml waterbottle.
Daily Recovery: LeanPlex, Whey Power, L-Glutamine and Collagen Peptides
- LeanPlex is a high protein, low kilojoule formula that will help with daily recovery – Also good if you want to drop some bodyfat before an event.
Use LeanPlex as follows: Simply take 2 scoops mid-morning and 2 scoops mid-afternoon in 300ml water.
- Whey Power is JUST PROTEIN for LEAN muscle tone and RECOVERY from intense training. High in L-glutamine (6000mg per scoop) and branched-chain amino acids (7500mg per scoop), with MCT’s for energy!
Use Whey Power as follows: Add 1 scoop to your oats, or smoothie, or simply drink with JUST water! After training. Before bedtime. Or drink along with any low-protein meal.
- Pace & Power Glutamine: An amino acid for muscle repair and recovery.
Use our glutamine as follows: Take one teaspoon of our pure L-Glutamine immediately after training – especially hills/sprints/Wattbike.
- Pace & Power Collagen Peptides: If you have issues with your joints – ANY connective tissue – for example, your knees/lower back, then our Pace & Power collagen is the thing to use! Results for most athletes are significantly good!
Use our collagen as follows: 2 scoops daily. Anytime.
42km, Benoni Northerns 50, Big Five, Cape Town, Deloitte Challenge, Drakensburg Extravaganza, Durban City, Gaborone, Jacaranda City, Jackie Gibson, Kaapse Hoop, Mandela Day, Maritzburg City, Soweto, Standard Marathon, Tough One, Vaal, Wally Hayward, Weskus, Winelands, Berlin, New York, London, Om Die Dam, Benoni Northerns 50,
Tags: 42km, Benoni Northerns 50, Berlin, Big Five, Cape Town, Deloitte Challenge, Drakensburg Extravaganza, Durban City, Gaborone, Jacaranda City, Jackie Gibson, Kaapse Hoop, London, Mandela Day, Maritzburg City, New York, Om Die Dam, Soweto, Standard Marathon, Tough One, Vaal, Wally Hayward, Weskus, Winelands